View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Thanxs for your input.... i will try stalling it up next time. She's changing at 3600 which i didn't think was too bad.And for the 5 speed... unfotunately not in this millenium with this particular ute!!! I'm not expect to be a world beater, but don't want to be beaten by the world!!! I am seriously considering a full drag setup in the near future, Ford badged of course!! But for now i'm playing with what i have.. If i can bet my hands on a C4 it should make a difference, but no i'm not taking it out of my xb!!
3600 would probably be about right for a stock 4.1, but yours isn't stock anymore, best bet would be to get a dyno run and find out where it's making peak kw and peak torque, because I'd be willing to guess that with the mods you've done to it, it would be making power a bit higher in the revs then stock, might even be making peak power at 4000rpm, all depends on the cam and extractors really.

Stalling it up and letting it rev a bit harder will probably make a suprising amount of difference.

Here's a test you can do yourself, try selecting first gear, and stomp on the go pedal, keeping an eye on the revs (may be worth getting someone else to sit next to you to keep an eye on the revs while you watch in front of you, lol) and let it rev to 4500. At a certain point you should be able to feel that it's stopped pulling as hard as it did, when you know what revs this is at, you'll know when it's best to select the next gear.

For example, I did this in my completely stock XF and the power drops off from 3800rpm up, so there is no point me revving it that hard, however taking it up to 3800 then shifting to 2nd will make the most of my engines power.

Worth a try, and won't cost you anything other then the fuel you'll use
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote