View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #27
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Lets look at it this way.... how many countries has China invaded in the past 200yrs?
Major wars and events

* 1927 to 1949: Chinese Civil War against the Kuomintang (KMT) as the Chinese Red Army.
* 1937 to 1945: World War II against Japanese occupied forces in China while harassing the Nationalist troops.
* 1949: Yangtze incident (the battle against British warships on the Yangtze river).
* 1950–1951 Invasion of Tibet 1950–1951
* 1950 to 1954: Korean War (under the official banner of the Chinese People's Volunteers, although they consisted of PLA regulars).
* 1954 to 1955: First Taiwan Strait Crisis.
* 1958: Second Taiwan Strait Crisis at Quemoy and Matsu.
* October 1962 to November 1962: Sino-Indian War.
* 1967: Chola incident with India.
* 1965 to 1970: Vietnam War (over 320,000 Chinese soldiers served in North Vietnam).
* 1969 to 1978: Sino-Soviet border conflict.
* 1974: Battle of the Paracel Islands.
* 1979: Sino-Vietnamese War.
* 1986 and 1988: Border and naval skirmishes with Vietnam.
* 1989: Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
* 1995 to 1996: Third Taiwan Strait Crisis.
* 1997 PLA Control of Hong Kong's Military Defense
Quote:
How many countries have England invaded in the same time?

The USA?
and look at where they are as a world power, the UK is impotent and subservient to the EU, the yanks have so many problems of thier own they wouldnt be able to fight thier way out of a bar brawl

and tell me..... in the last century, how many conflicts have the US armed forces engaged in successfully?

Quote:
This "scare mongering" is just one of those things which journos do.... 30yrs ago it was the USSR our "enemy".... then more recently Indonesia, then boat people, now its China!
the difference being that the Chinese are more organised than the Russians ever were, the Chinese have an infinitely larger manufacturing ability and higher technology standards

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, China has over 100million soldiers.
It does NOT have a large Naval fleet
It does NOT have long range bombers
It does not have many inflight refuelers
It has no means of shifting a large Army across an ocean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosco
dont need a big navy or airforce to invade a country, just a means of delivering troops and thier equipment, covertly land enough troops in the right places, you can neutralise the majority of the defensive measures and take the rest at your leisure, the Sino-Indian war is an example of a simple land war with no air force/naval involvement
Quote:
Fact of the matter is, China has over 100million soldiers.
2,250,000 approx on active duty, but the concerning bit is the 750 MILLION available for military service should the chinese government decide it needs bigger numbers..... dont need to train them much, give them a gun, tell them which end is the dangerous end and send them out in human waves like in Korea