View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #200
Matty4
Banana

My eyes really hurt after reading all this but I thought I'd add my experiences of LPG.
I used to own an R31 Nissan Skyline that I converted to a dual fuel LPG system at 220,000k's. The conversion back in '97 cost me $1450. I borrowed the money for it and put the difference between what I was spending on petrol and what I was spending on LPG into the loan to pay it off. Paid it off in 9 months. From that point on I was in front. The car ran faultlessly. It was regularly serviced and tuned to LPG specs and the motor finally gave up after doing a head gasket at 530,000k's.

I then fitted a 2.0lt twincam turbo motor out of a newer import Skyline and ran that as a dual fuel setup for about 18 months before selling it. On it's last service and tune it was run on the dyno and the variation in power between LPG and petrol was 2kw's atw (139 vs 141).

If I could convert my current car to LPG I would but it just won't physically fit under the bonnet. My wife drives a Territory on a novated lease so I'm not too worried about petrol prices atm but I drive a twin turbo Subaru, not LPG friendly and needs PULP (at 150 cpl it's getting harder to swallow when I fill up)

Love both fuel types but from a purely cost basis i'd go LPG anyday.

My 2 cents.

Matty