View Single Post
Old 19-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
ken
xm ute

Default Reconditioning an XM 170 - questions

Hi all,

AM new to this list but am hoping someone would be generous with advice. I have an XM ute with (I think) a 170. The motor has been reconditioned at some stage but is due again for major surgery. I figure the easy option is to pull out this motor and hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. My questions:

The VIN codes show that this car should have a 170 in it, but how do I check that that's what my current engine actually is?

If I am reconditioning/rebuilding, can it be 'upgraded' to a 200 equivalent or something similar? And if it can, is this a good idea?

Are there any other options/mods I should be thinking about at this stage?

Are there any engine reconditioners/mechanics in Brisbane I should talk to/trust?

Note that I'm wanting a solid reliable ute that drives well - this is not a race-car. One last question -

The ute has a three-speed column-shift with no synchro on 1st. I guess I would like to upgrade to a full-sychro box. Auto would be nice, but I hear that the 1964 auto's are a bit primative (if you can find one) and that with any conversion I need to be careful about the small tunnells in the XM's - so I figure that would all get too complicated. At this stage I think I will just sort the engine out and then deal with the gearbox next. Is that a good idea or am I missing the chance to do something good if deal with the engine and gearbox at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
kr

ken is offline   Reply With Quote