View Single Post
Old 28-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

At least someone remembered Dick Johnson's 5 ATCC titles!

What is the question again? Best driver, or best touring car driver?

Quote:
And if Brock is/was not the greatest touring car driver in the world, then who is? And by what standard do you measure that? Measured by the standard of the driver who has won more of Australia's "Great Race" (Bathurst) than any other, as well as touring car championships, around Australia rallies etc, then Brock is it.
Brock has been the best ambassador for touring car racing without a doubt. But Repco Reliability Trials aren't touring car races. Colin Bond has won more, as well as Australian Rally Championships, F5000's, Sports Sedans etc. Bond doesn't have the record of Brock because he moved around.

Building fast cars doesn't make him a good driver, that makes him a good car builder.

IMO, there is one other important piece of criteria that needs to be remembered when talking about 'best drivers'. The ability to stay alive when driving a car. If that simple fact is ignored, then can we ignore things like The Rock, the Eggenberger Sierras, the 92 Bathurst, Radisich's luck, Setons luck, the FIA rules in the late 80's etc etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not into knocking him at all, he was an amazing person, certainly over-rated as a driver at times, but that's not his fault, he never gloated, his supporters did/do.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"