View Single Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #28
Muzza
Bent Eight

OK, finished my rear end rebuild this arvo.

The problems were:-
Rumble from rear left.
Heaps of clunking from the back (mostly the RHS 1/2 shaft but also the diff).
Diff chatter on RH cornering.
Very annoying diff whine at 100kph.

Replaced:-
2 rear bearings (LHS one was totally stuffed) - $96
2 pack nuts - $56
Both 1/2 shafts reco'ed incl new boots - $250
Preloved Diff - $350
Penzoil diff oil and additive - $35
Noltec rear lower shocker bushes - $80
Shear mounts - $160
King Springs (rear pair) - $140

Total = $1,165 plus about 8 hours of my time.

I also installed Koni shocks in the rear but those (and the front pair) were "payment" for some work I did so am not counting that as a cost.
BTW, I did a bearing replacement a couple of years ago for a friend and bought the 36mm socket and made the hub removal jig (tool 205-466-1) back then.... saved me time yesterday.

Well, all noises solved... runs nice and quite.
Handling has improved and still front shocks and bushes to be done.
The $350 diff works well... that's a pleasant surprise, they said it was a good one (out of an XR8 that was only driven gently to church on Sundays) and it appears that they told the truth

BTW... took about another hour to make a shaft extractor attachement for the slide hammer.... not counted above wrt time taken.
Still have the front to do (Noltec bushes in lower arms, Konis, Kings and Camber kit).

Info for Mr AUXR8.....
The parts cost, at retail, for the bearings and pack nuts was around $150.
The total time to remove and replace should be about 4 hours.
So, even at $100/hr for labour the cost should be around $550.

There are two traps in doing this piece of work:-
1. Seperating the hub from the 1/2 shaft...these have been know to freeze together.... A couple of years ago I had one in a vice with a heavy duty extractor tensioned to near breaking point whilst soaking in Penetrine for 4 days !!! before it let go.
Make sure they swave the hub spline with anti-seize when re-assembling.
2. Not having the correct tools i.e. the aforementioned 205-466-1 and shaft remover (see Technical Resources and doc on AU IRS Repairs)

Footnote... I am not a mechanic... just a well equipped hobbiest.
MrsMuzza: ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels (8.5ins wide...nice), Sprint leather interior).

Last edited by Muzza; 23-04-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote