View Single Post
Old 30-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #81
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I guess nail and hammer have connected here. Though, to me, It's not really an issue of whether a 3" is actually too big for an I6 (despite the fact that I did say that earlier, and stand by it). The real issue, is whether a 3" exhaust, at roughly twice the price of a 2.5", actually gives you the extra $$$ benefit over a 2.5". I guess a time saving of 0.3 sec over 400m may be worth the extra cost to some, but not to me.

Also, does a 3" on an I6 really sound that good? I'd doubt it, and the fact that Stav is getting headaches from his tends to suggest it's not - by the time you muffle it so it is at an acceptable (and legal - by EPA standards) noise level, you've probably muffled out/restricted any extra power gain over your run of the mill 2.5" mandrel bent redback or lukey system.

Lastly, to say any I6 with a 3" sounds better than a V8 is ludicrous - nothing sounds as good as a V engine, whether it be 8, 10 or 12 (and yes, even V6). You cannot get the same clashing of exhaust pulses from a straight motor (boxers aside) that you get from a V. But everyone has their own opinion I guess, and some are entitled to it.

That wasnt the issue at all. Money was NEVER bought into it, the issue was is it a worse option than having a 2.5 inch.
Im guessing you havent heard an i6 with a three inch, you are just seeing whos buttons you can push. Stav's was loud because he had a cracked cat, if you read the thread youll find that now that it is welded up, noise level has been deemed as appropriate.
I run one muffler, at the rear, no res, and I drive past the police at this time (2-3am) every single morning, coming onto the highway, on the highway, at lights, and not one has ever given me a second glance.
But in saying all of that I do prefer the sound of my old Lukey, it felt so warm and refined, where as the 3 inch is rough and barky, which has grown on me a hell of a lot, especially at idle.
I have mates that are ricers, they say its the most evil sounding six theyve heard, and I still have no cam.
I have an idea JC, go do some research, and come back or even look at a few posts on the last page, and really sit there and try and determine if you believe what you are trying to tell yourself, or if you are just trying to stir everyone up.